Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cereal....at last!!!!

Ok, so, despite the fear of being called a bad mom....I started my son on cereal early. I got some great advice to let him be the guide...within reason. Anyway, he has just been absolutely starving!! So, my mom showed me how to mix it, I finally got the right bottle nipples...and away we went.

Last night was the first night he officially got a full serving of formula/cereal. He LOVED it! Absolutely inhaled it! And the best part...when he woke up, he wasn't screaming in hunger! We've been very blessed that he's always been a great sleeper, so it only increased his sleeping about an hour or two (which I'll take), but it did more for how he acts when he gets up.

Normally, he wakes up 2x before getting up for the day. The first time he wakes up, he's screaming crying, I can hear his tummy grumbling super loud and everytime I burp him he cries because he's so hungry. Of course, I've been nicknamed the "burp nazi" so I burp him anyway, but its a long drawn out loud, sad process. Well....last night, he woke up for the first time this morning at 6:50am. He was just laying there talking to himself, happy as could be. When I went in there I got smiles and got him up, changed him and then fed him. He was hungry still, ate 6oz of formula....but there were no tears, no tummy grumbles louder than his cries....it was perfect! And...I think its actually put him on a normal schedule. He didn't go back to sleep then because he'd slept so long, which in turn means he actually took a morning nap instead of his usual 1x a day long nap! Then, a few hours after waking up, took an afternoon nap. He's been happy all day (which is actually how he always is), and I'm so excited! Now...just gotta make sure his tummy handles it ok!

For those who think I'm evil for starting him early, oh well! I have a happy son, whose so far adjusted to it very well, and truly enjoyed a nice, full tummy. I took a poll of a bunch of people around me....and in the people I pulled, I'm actually starting him later than they did....and we all turned out ok! (Well, most of us anyway)! :-)

This experience truly makes up for having to pack up all his newborn clothes the other day. I could have cried I was so sad to pack them up. He is growing up so fast, and I love this stage so its a bit depressing. I think that's why God gives us stages, so when we're sad about packing up newborn clothes, I can be super happy about his gorgeous smile he's flashing at me all day long, and feeding him something other than formula!

Keep us in your prayers, we're awaiting word on medical coverage from BCBS!

1 comment:

  1. We started LilMan December 31, and he was amost 4months old! He had reflux, so it was more help than anyone would know!

    You are never a bad mom. You are the PERFECT mom for Landry. And no matter what others say, your way is the best way for YOUR child!

    ReplyDelete